Come and visit as often as you like!
September: start to feed heavy sugar syrup
(1kg white sugar stirred into 630ml hot water). When feeder is empty – refill until
your bees stop taking the syrup down.
Jobs for September
- Make final inspection and remove queen excluder.
- Keep entrance really small if wasps still about
- If possible, leave one super of honey on the hive
- Check weight of hive by hefting (get an adult to do this!!). Feed heavy sugar syrup if estimated weight of stores is less than 40 lbs.
- Keep topping up stores throughout September, or until your bees stop taking it down
- Unite any small, healthy colonies
- Clean up all equipment and store
- Prepare your best jars or combs of honey for honey shows
- Visit your local garden centre and plant spring flowering bulbs and plants
- Keep watching out for the Asian Hornet (and see if you can spot its nest!)
Krsna is writing up his Beekeeping Diary for B Kids in 2018.
Click here to read his monthly entries.
Click here for ASIAN HORNET WATCH!
New Monitoring Trap instructions
|Click here for a New Book Review
“BUSY BEE & THE ENDANGERED MEADOW”
|Click here for September’s
open til 1st October 2018
1st prize £20 voucher
& 2nd prize £10 voucher!
Fresh Jigsaw – “What a wonderful display”
Click here for a method of making a Monitoring Trap
If you think you have seen one, either an Asian hornet or a nest, contact this email address: email@example.com or visit the Biological Records Centre website